Feeding America, Kentucky’s Heartland distributes enough food for over 15 million meals per year. To do that, we rely on thousands of volunteers who want to put their valuable time to good use fighting hunger.
Mother and son duo Vera and Derek Martin are two of our longest-standing volunteers. Together, they have given over 1,000 hours of their time to feeding their neighbors!
Listen as they share their experience at our Elizabethtown Volunteer Center.
Volunteer Center Guidelines
Because volunteer opportunities are in an active warehouse setting we require closed-toed shoes for your safety. You will not be permitted to serve if you arrive wearing inappropriate footwear.
To ensure the safety of volunteers and staff in an active warehouse setting, we have certain age limits in place.
- Children between the ages of 7-15 must have a parent, guardian or group chaperone volunteering alongside them.
- Volunteers age 16 or older do not require an accompanying adult
As part of the sign-in process all volunteers must complete a volunteer waiver form.
- Children between the ages of 7 – 17 require parent or guardian signature on their waiver forms, even if they are coming with a school or church group.
- You can find the waiver form here.
Groups of 6 or more volunteers must schedule their service ahead of time by either calling our Volunteer Center at 270-735-1407 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For school groups we require at least one chaperone per 10 children
Volunteer Center Contact
Volunteer Center Hours
Mon. – Thurs.
8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. EST
*One select Sat. available per month (September- April)
Volunteering in our Region
If you are interested in volunteering at a food distribution site or with one of our agency partners in your county, find their contact information directly on our Find Help page.